Monday, December 20, 2010

Weight Weight... Don't Tell Me!

Before I got pregnant with Mateo, I didn't eat sugar for approximately 5 years.  Yes, people, five YEARS.  It wasn't really a question of will power, but more of a decision based on being hypoglycemic and sugar basically making me feel horrible.  It's amazing how unappealing even dark chocolate ganache triple decker death cake can be when it gives you a headache and makes you feel like you're going to pass out.

Somewhere along the second trimester of pregnancy, however, all I could think about was cake.  At first I resisted because I figured it would have the same effect on me as before, but then on my birthday I caved.  After having brunch with friends, we went to Whole Foods, bought an entire dark chocolate ganache triple decker death cake, and there, in the store, I ate something like half of it.  I think it completely freaked Geno out because prior to that day, he hadn't ever seen me eat even one single M&M, let alone half a cake.  Let me tell you though, that cake was good.  And miraculously, it didn't make me feel like death.  I was cured!  Let's celebrate with a chocolate gelato milkshake!

So as you can guess, after not having eaten cake, cookies, candy, maple syrup or even normal peanut butter for five whole years, I fully embraced my newfound sugar freedom.  Thankfully, for my health and for Mateo's, I was able to stay within my doctor's weight guidelines for my pregnancy- but there was a week where I actually gained 7 pounds thanks to a chocolate gelato "milkshake" (aka, 10 scoops of gelato and a spritz of milk.)  I figured that after giving birth my hypoglycemia would kick back in, so I embraced the sweet life while I still could.  But wouldn't you know it - breastfeeding has kept the sugar train a-rollin'!  I'm not downing milkshakes or entire cakes anymore, but as my co-workers can attest, I will not say no to your cookie offering or trick-or-treat pumpkin candy dish.

I'm definitely enjoying getting to partake in dessert and birthday cakes, and all the millions of different ways we celebrate life with sugar-infused goods.  (It's nice not to be the pariah post-dinner who doesn't order dessert, winning the glares of people who mistakenly think you're on a diet.)  However, I know that in the coming year I'll stop breastfeeding at some point, which will probably mean a return to hypoglycemia, and definitely mean less passive calorie burning.  So, I'm toying with the idea of going back to my sugar-shunning ways come January 1st.  This time, however, it will actually be a test of will power, at least initially.  I figure January is the perfect time though, and I'm sucker for New Year's resolutions. 

Notice, however, that I said January.  And please do notice, that it is still December.  Protect your gingerbread houses, I've got ten days left!

No comments: