Friday, November 25, 2011

Middle Age: Fa la la la laaaa

First, let me say thank you to my prescient sister who bought me a wireless router for my birthday.  It's something I've been wanting / meaning to buy for um, about 5 years.  (I'm hoping this increases my blogging frequency.)  It has made me forgive her for informing me that 35 is considered the apex of life.  Next, let me say thank you to my father for informing me that I am now officially middle aged.  Awesome.

Quite honestly though, I'm very happy to be the age I am.  I have so many amazing things to be grateful for, not just a few of which have come along later in life.  Obviously that list includes Geno and Mateo, but the big one I'm thinking of right now is the gumption to cast off my parents' tradition of not putting up a Christmas tree until right before Christmas itself.  I'm totally down with Advent, (which is the reason they like to wait), but I also just love having the tree up with the twinkly lights shining and the stockings hung by the windows (no mantle) with care.  It's funny, because it took me almost 15 years to realize that I could put the tree up whenever I wanted; so the day after Thanksgiving it is.

Despite loving Christmas trees, I happen to have a freakish allergy to real ones, so we have a scrawny artificial version that is sparsly decorated due to the toddler's love of shiny objects.  It's very Charlie Brown, but me and all of my 35 years love it.

Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

35. I'll hit this number in less than a week. I too have had many people remind me that I am now officially not young anymore. :) Maybe not in my actual age, but in my heart I am still young! And that is all that matters! Happy Holidays and keep resisting to growing up but enjoying to make new traditions! :) Miss you!

Kate C. said...

Middle-aged you and the Charlie Brown tree look better than any young fir displayer out there!