Monday, January 2, 2012

Resolution

Before it gets too far away, I feel like 2011 deserves a bit of a recap. Originally I wanted (and started) to write a "year in review" much like I did last year, but a sick kid and the desire to spend every free minute reading The Hunger Games trilogy kept me from putting together a full blown production. So, here's the thumbnail version.

In many ways, 2011 was an amazing year for our family and some of our nearest and dearest. Mateo started walking and talking, my sister finished her Master's degree, we visited Geno's family in PR, and we celebrated the marriages, new babies and professional successes of our friends. But that being said, this year brought heartache for others we love, poor health for some of our family members, challenges on how to balance work, marriage and parenting, and worries about the state of our fragile world. So I guess you can say this year was like any other: full of all of the typical themes that come with human being territory.

As we move into 2012, more of this human-ness is on the horizon. We have some big changes coming up right away that we have sought out, (Mateo starts Montessori "school" this week!), and others that will surely take us by surprise.  To address the latter, one of my New Year's resolutions is to try to be more flexible, which hopefully will make adapting to change at least a little less difficult.

One of the reasons I love New Year's resolutions so much, (apart from the pure joy of list making), is the number of ways you can define "resolution." It can mean a promise to keep; an end; a degree of clarity. As I grow older, I always hope that I am able to better see myself and the world around me, not just for clarity's sake, but in order to better keep my promises and ultimately be a better human.

Cheers to your human-ness as well, and Happy Year!


No comments: